The heart and soul of me. Past, present, future. Exciting - isn't it?
Sunday, July 5, 2009
4th of July Festivities
Dawson and I had a GREAT 4th of July. It is my favorite holiday actually. I don't really know why, but I'd take an awesome 4th of July as equally as a great Christmas. I'm not a good gift giver or aceptor. Perhaps that's why. It's often difficult to get to the root of the celebration and why we celebrate certain holidays. Easter and Christmas seem to be about other things and not the people that made them. The 4th of July is about the people and the celebrations of the cause - which I absolutely love.
We started off our holiday with a wonderful concert Thursday evening. We went to hear Maureen McGovern and Daniel Beck at the Civic Auditorium. I wasn't sure how Dawson would do, but he hung out with me pretty good. He last to the intermission. Which was about 8:10 and that is bedtime anyway. So, we left. It was a great concert though. The beginning was especially moving when the orchestra, chorus and a huge crowd of kids representing high schools in the area did a Star Spangled Banner presentation as they presented the flags. Very touching and a great start to the holiday.
I had Friday off of work and it was a great day just to do nothing. We did grocery shopping, took a couple of blankets to the laundry mat, had lunch at Leo's (Dawson's favorite Pizza place). The rest of the day/evening was spent hanging out at home. We had planned all week to go to see Ice Age and Dawson wanted to go to Leo's. So, he made the choice. Which was fine - Much Cheaper than the movies these days!
Saturday got even better. Woke up late and headed to the parade at 8:30am. I have to admit our parade is a pretty entertaining one. We enjoyed it. Dawson's favorite was the Colonial dressed men drmmers. Mine was of course the marching bands. They are not like they use to be though. Our band had 150 people in it. Very professional and every parade was an event for us. Much more laid back these days and probably the largest band had 30 - 40 kids. Still fun. After the parade dispersed, we headed for lunch, then to the greenbelt to see the festivities. Dawson had been waiting all week for the jumpy things. So, the jumpy things we went too! He loves those things. I spotted a yawn shortly after that and we headed home for a nap so that I could see if I could keep him up for fireworks. After a nap we packed up a picnic and headed back the greenbelt to find "our space". Hung out, people watched and made it to the fireworks. It was a great night! Beautiful display and all in all a weekend full of patriotism, and lots of lots of walking.
Happy 4th everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment